February 4th, 2014
Why changing your Long Term Care Pharmacy provider doesn’t have to be that difficult
Some long term care facility managers consider a pharmacy vendor change to be stressful. That’s why many facilities are content with putting up with a sub-par vendor.
There are certain things vendors must offer their clients to ensure a smooth transition. Here’s a list of some our most important ones:
- A transition team that will begin talking with your staff very early in the process and will learn
- your needs before pushing their solutions.
- A detailed implementation plan before anything happens so there are no surprises.
- Training regimens on the vendor’s medication technologies
- Full explanation of the vendor’s procedures, and who to contact in the organization if there is a previous problem.
- The vendor should work with your previous vendor to get a copy of all of your order sheets before they step in, so that all medications will be ready to go on the first day.
- Thorough auditing of the changeover procedures as they happen, to ensure that there are no problems with medication, documentation, or billing.
- Pharmacy phone support whenever you need it.
There’s no reason to put up with a sub-par vendor. Your staff and your patients deserve a pharmacy that caters to their needs. This has to be done from the very first day, and we know how to do it. If you are thinking about switching, ask potential vendors what their changeover procedures are. Do they give you peace of mind?